Monday, October 29, 2012

We're not that Special

I, like many of you, am exhausted by the thought of a few more weeks of political rhetoric still ahead. I'm frustrated by it and annoyed by it but what I find most disheartening is the sentiment that we should keep our opinions to ourselves because minds aren't going to be changed. While that may be true for some, I generally disagree with the sentiment because when we have more information to work with, our minds may change. Otherwise, what is the point of learning? Some call this being a flip-flop (as if it's a bad thing to change positions once more information has been attained). I have been wrestling with writing this post for a while now because I didn't want to be one more voice spouting an angry, one sided, political view but I couldn't get it out of my head so now I am putting it on paper (well internet paper). It's a bit naive to think that there was ever a time in this country without political rhetoric. From this countries inception, the debate among politicians and constituents has been for more or less democracy. In the beginning, Thomas Jefferson and his "Jeffersonians" argued against that other group about the economy. Jefferson argued that less government involvement meant more democracy for all, and thank goodness for us, his argument won out. And every election cycle, the argument continues. This election is no different. We all know that each candidate has a "plan" and personal ideas of how to "fix" and "change" what is, in their minds, wrong with the country. My worry and question is this: Which plan offers more freedom? Not just for me, but for everyone now and anyone who will come to be? Our generation, and this electoral cycle is not that special. More government involvement or less? I'm on the side of Jefferson, I would like less government involvement in every aspect of my life. Including but not limited to school, work, and my health care.

No comments: